Wednesday 22 August 2007

First Post

AHA. Hello. Its been a long time coming, but I've finally got round to making a post. Have been travelling round Britain on my bike for the past few weeks having a wonderful time, in spite of the rain and the misfortune of seeing Hartlepool.
Am in London today - just about to set off to Oxford to go to a series of lectures. Have been in the capital since Saturday. I came down to lend my support to the Climate Camp in their demonstration against Heathrow/BAA plans to build a third runway over a couple of villages. The protest was a success in my view - lots of media attention, which will hopefully contribute to public debate on the matter. It ws disturbing to see how the police authorities reacted to such a peaceful bunch......after all, Climate Change is probably the biggest political issue of the moment, and no-one can deny that it is a bit harsh to flatten 2 villages and displace 1400 people from their homes for the sake of further corporate profits and further atmospheric pollution. Strange that the protesters should have been treated like criminals.

Have been keeping a journal of the trip and will upload snippets in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, I will upload a copy of an article written for the Co. Down Spectator.

Am trying to upload photos, but that damn computer illiteracy is getting in my way. If anyone would like some, email me and I'll send them off.

No comments: